Thursday, October 4, 2007

Begging Naked, a film by Karen Gehres

Let me share the story of the woman who helped me conceive the concept for ArtCharts. I'm still not sure who actually said ARTCHARTS first. It was 1996. She was making shoes, I was thinking about an astrology website. We both painted all the time, and had a duo "band", Flip. What has happened to Elise is disturbing.

A gifted and talented painter, my friend Elise Hill worked as a sex worker; and she brought her creativity to that stage as well. She became HOMELESS about 5 years ago. We watched her slip farther from reality, unable to change her course. Yet, Karen Gehres found a way.

Karen is a filmmaker and friend of Elise. So she made documentary about Elise's life, and it is showing at Film Festivals nationwide. It will be in NYC this weekend (see the Begging Naked myspace page for details), and Woodstock next weekend. And its message is both timeless and timely. And you can view, and purchase, Elise's paintings after the show.

At this point, I don't know if money will change Elise's life. Yet, recognition of her talent can only help her and her audience.

So go see BEGGING NAKED, a film by Karen Gehres.

I'm going to one of the showings at the Woodstock Film Festival.

in LOVE&LIGHT,
Lauren

ps, i include this post because it's personal for me. And also because viewers have told me how "cool it would be" if i were homeless and they could say, "my astrologer is a homeless woman from NYC". I want to share this because that thought is an illusion that can be cleared by watching this film.

No comments: